Tuesday, May 20, 2008

New Puppy, Old Quilt

We went to visit my son and his wife and the new puppy yesterday. She's definitely a cutie, although still a little nervous around all of us. She'd only been away from her mommy for less than 24 hours when we saw her. Tawny (that's her name) enjoys being cuddled, and she plays, but always very nicely. She's going to be a perfect addition to their home.

While there I also saw the very first real quilt I ever made, the one made for my son after his return from South Africa. It's made of out very African-looking fabrics in shades of green, yellow, and tan, with just a bit of red thrown in the mix. It's made of pieced churn dash blocks with sashing between the blocks and hand-quilted. I must say that I still like it, even after all these years. Considering I didn't really know what I was doing at the time, I did pretty well in choosing both color and scale of fabrics.

I had large prints and small prints, good contrast between the various elements, a splash of an unexpected color to add some sparkle, and a fun giraffe print for the back. It's stood the test of time, and I'm proud of it. So you'd think I would have had the intelligence to take a picture of it. I mean, I had the camera right there, taking pictures of Tawny, but, nope, I did not do it. So I guess you'll have to be satisfied with my description of it, and maybe I can get a picture next time I'm there.

No comments: