Friday, May 9, 2008

Everything is a Quilt


Have you noticed that if you are a quilter everything you look at is a quilt? Last summer I took some pictures in Glacier National Park, and I was looking through them a couple weeks ago trying to pick one for the background screen of my new iTouch. I found one that just took my breath away, and I said to my husband, Ooh, look how pretty this picture is. He glanced at it and said, What? I don't think it's that great. Everything is the same color. I looked again, still loved it, and wondered why he couldn't see the beauty in it.

Then I realized, oh, wait a minute, he's not a quilter. I was very, very sad for him. He never looks at anything with a view to quilting it, and I look at everything that way. He misses out on a lot of nuances in the world around him because he's not trying to figure out how to make it work in a quilt design. Maybe I miss out on some things because I always am looking at things with a quilter's eye, but it's too late now. It's deeply engrained, imbedded, ground in, fused with (good quilty term) who I am as a person. I quilt, therefore I am.

So here is the picture in question. Do you see a quilt too? Maybe get your husband or your son or daughter or any non-quilter to look at it and see what they see. Could be a fun little experiment for you.


1 comment:

Gayle J. Randall said...

Oh, Kaye, I know this is an old post, but I just read it and I absolutely LOVE the picture with all of the blues in it. I have to admit that my first thought was not how to quilt it, but just that it spoke to my soul. It is a gorgeous picture! You took it? I am so impressed!
Love,
Gayle