Monday, June 2, 2008

Alice's Quilt


I finally finished the quilt for Alice, my mother-in-law, that has been on my quilter since March. I had grandiose ideas about my quilting ability and have since had to downgrade to my beloved, albeit it too-well-used, loops and something else. On this quilt I chose two something else's, flowers and hearts. I think it turned out fine, although certainly not the heirloom quilting I had envisioned. I guess I have to quit thinking I am above such mundane things as practicing.


Alice had her 80th birthday in March, which was the reason I was making the quilt in the first place. I was able to use fabrics for the entire quilt from her fabric stash in her favorite shades of rose and green. Sadly, I do not think she will remember any of these fabrics because my mother-in-law has Alzheimer's, and she is getting very forgetful. It used to be things like addresses and whether she bought bananas, and now it's things like her children and her husband. She asked us just last night where he was, and we had to tell her again that he passed away nearly two years ago. She said, Oh, okay, I'll have to write that down. It breaks your heart, but she's relatively happy in the world in which she lives now, the world of her childhood and early adulthood. She often thinks my husband is one of her brothers, and we just go along with it.

So here is a quilt for you, Alice. You have been good to me and my family, and now it's time for us to take care of you. Sweet dreams.

No comments: