Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kudos to Fons and Porter

Not that Fons and Porter need my congratulations or anything, but yesterday I used their Half & Quarter Ruler for the first time, and I must say it was excellent. First of all, it's very easy to use and gets rid of some of the "dog ears" you have to trim off after sewing triangles together, and, second of all, it saves so much fabric.

For those of you not familiar with this ruler, it allows you to cut both half-square and quarter-square triangles from the same size of strip, not to mention any squares you are using for the quilt, thus saving you time, money, fabric, and frustration. No more cutting squares with weird measurements like 4 7/8 or 5 3/16 and then cutting them in half or quarters. On the ruler are yellow circles with numbers in them that correspond to the finished size of one side of your triangle, hypotenuse or long side for quarter-square triangles, and leg or short side for half-square triangles. Follow those dots to the right or the left, depending on the kind of triangle you want, and, voila, there is the width to cut your strips. Here is a link to their website and a picture of said ruler. I am not affiliated with Fons and/or Porter in any way. I just love this ruler, and I think you will too.


And here is a picture of some double pinwheel blocks I made using the ruler. Awesome!

No comments: