Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Plethora of Podcasts

It all started with Annie Smith's Quilting Stash, the first podcast for quilters. I remember when I first discovered the podcast in 2007, I went back and listened to every single show, clear back to 2005. I was listening to a recent Quilting Stash podcast the other day and found it unbelievable when Annie mentioned that there were still some quilters who had not heard of her or her podcast. She's practically an icon, people! She has interviewed virtually every well-known personality in the quilting industry, written articles for Quilter's Home magazine , has her own line of patterns, and hosts a twice-yearly quilting retreat in Cambria, California.

Alex Anderson started her podcast, Quilt Connection, in 2006. While the frequency of new podcasts has slowed down considerably since The Quilt Show started, she does still post new episodes every couple months or so. Alex knows practically everyone worth knowing in the quilting industry, so her podcast is full of name-dropping and news of the upper eschelons of the quilting world.

Within a Quarter Inch, Allison Rosen's podcast, was the next podcast I discovered. She started broadcasting in 2008, I think. Sorry if I got that wrong, Allison. Listening to Within a Quarter Inch is like listening to a good friend talk about her day. It's highly entertaining and full of anecdotes from her home and work life, as well as a lot of really excellent quilting information.

Since around the end of 2008 and into 2009, there have been several new quilting podcats started. Patchwork and Pacifiers, by Jennifer Ruvalcaba, The Pioneer Quilter, by Kelley, Sew-Stitch-Create, by Brye Lynn, and The Quilted Cupcake, by Jean. It's great to see so many new people willing to share their quilting knowledge and personal quilting journeys with all of us. At the end a long, hard, very non-quilty day, I love to listen to them and be inspired and reminded of why I love quilting so much.

3 comments:

Gayle J. Randall said...

What a great list, Kaye! I'll have to give some a listen sometime (probably after the next 15 months are over). Thanks for the post--I love to see what you are doing.

Lori Young said...

I love podcasts. Especially quilting podcasts! I feel like I'm listening to my good quilting friends share their quilting with me. I just can't get enough!

Within A Quarter Inch said...

Hello! Thank you SO much for the nice things you said... After a long hard day with the twins, coming across your post really brightened my life and made the podcast (yet again) a really valued outlet for my crazy self! And I don't even remember when it started.. but the end of 2007 sounds about right to me....