Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Grandbaby Quilt!

I finally have all the fabrics I need to make the quilt for my son and daughter-in-law's first child and our first grandchild. They have decided not to know the sex of the baby beforehand, so it's been quite a challenge to come up with fabrics and a design that would work for either a boy or a girl, but I think we've done it.


Jen selected a pattern combining piecing and applique from the September/October 2008 issue of Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting magazine called Hopscotch. The focus fabric is from American Jane by Moda, from their Recess line. It's a fabulous print of 1950's children playing. To go along with it we have a selection of fabrics with various sizes of polka dots, a sassy coral, Polka Dot by April Cornell for Moda, a fabulous green, Dorothy by P&B Textiles, and a golden yellow, Windsong by Avlyn. Tieing them all together is a really amazing stripe from the Jitterbug line by Andover fabrics. There's also a basic off-white blender to show off the appliques.


Here is a picture of the fabrics. Cutting begins soon. Watch for the completed quilt top in the next few days. I plan on pouring every ounce of love I have for my first grandchild into this special quilt and hope it will be cherised by him or her for a lifetime.




3 comments:

Michelle Kelly said...

I LOVE the fabrics you picked out Aunt Kaye. I love that they are choosing not to know the sex, I always thought that would be so fun to do. But hard to plan for. But still, it's fun. Good luck with the quilt.

Lori said...

Cute, cute, cute! I can't wait to see it. Mmmmmm......grandchildren. I wonder what that's like. Anybody know any cute girls? I have three really cute boys!

Ford Fam said...

wow, I can't believe you are going to be a Grandma! I am so excited for you and for Brent and his wife. I love the fabrics, super cute!