Friday, January 2, 2009

I Heart Fat Quarters

Have I written about my love of fat quarters here before? If not, how could I have been so remiss? There is no fabric size and shape that I love as much as a fat quarter, particularly if said fat quarter comes tied in a bundle with other fat quarter friends. So, of course, when Gary gave me a gift certificate to The Fabric Addict for Christmas, I bought, you guessed it, fat quarters.

The bundle I bought is 20 fat quarters from the fabric collection called Paisley Party by Terry Atkinson and Liz Lois for Red Rooster Fabrics. It's got such delicious colours of orange, yellow, turquoise, and green, very tropical and fresh and perfect for these blah January days. I am posting a picture of the collection. I know I should untie the bundle and spread it out for you to see it better, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Part of the fun of the fat quarter bundle is seeing it all tied up so pretty.


Now I need to decide what I'm making with it. I'm thinking of a wall-hanging for the kitchen because the colors would brighten up my fairly dark house and make the winter seem a little bit more fun, at least in my kitchen. I want something that really shows off the fabric, so probably something with large blocks. Hopefully a picture will be posted here soon.

1 comment:

T Fowler said...

I agree! I love fat quarters! Those colors are fantastic. I saw a great idea for a new quilt I'm dying to try. Being a seasoned quilter you are, you probably have already seen this idea, but I'll tell you anyway. You cut your fabric into squares (any size you would like, I think the one I saw was 6 inches). Sew them into a nine patch. Then, cut the nine patch in half, then those halves in half so you have four equal squares. Then arrange these squares into the pattern you want and you have a great random-looking quilt with a lot less work than sewing and cutting all the squares separately. Let me know if that made any sense. And Good luck, anything you do with those colors will look amazing!