Friday, October 10, 2008

Back to Basics, Back to Me

Last night I listened to a quilting podcast for the first time in a long time. It was Allison Rosen's Within a Quarter Inch podcast. She is so fun! I am jealous of her new sewing room, but I can be content with my little corner of the office. Since I organized most of my fabric it's much better. But what I was reminded of as I listened to her is the fun I have when I'm quilting, which I haven't done really since July and the Sister Quilt Retreat. So today I am getting back to basics, back to quilting fun. My plan is to quilt my McKenna Ryan applique quilt and get it hung up in the kitchen. I'm not going to stress over perfect quilting, just do my best and enjoy the journey.

I am torn all the time between starting new projects and finishing old ones. I love to start something new, be all excited about new fabrics, new patterns, the joy of creating, but then I start thinking about all the old projects I have sitting around, mostly waiting to be quilted but some waiting to be pieced, and I think how great it would be to have them finished and usable, and then starting a new project would be even more fun because there would be no lingering guilt from all those neglected quilts. And I don't even really know why they get neglected, because at one time I couldn't wait to start them, so now why am I waiting so long to finish them?

While I dabble occasionally in other crafting, knitting, scrapbooking, other sewing, I always come back to what makes me happiest, quilting. So today I am going to finish an old project, start a new project, and plan for a future project. Today is the day I get back to me.

2 comments:

Gayle J. Randall said...

I love thinking of you quilting and enjoying it so much. I am still hoping soon to get the quilting done on our sister's retreat project. I need to move it up higher on the priority list. It holds many precious memories and I need to get it up on my wall soon, too. Thanks for organizing the retreat. It was a special and important time. I love you!

Within A Quarter Inch said...

Hi!! Wow, thanks for the mention of my podcast - I am so glad you enjoy it and found it inspiring enough to QUILT:)

Now get out there and multi-quilt, my friend. HHmmm, I just thought of a new episode!