Monday, September 8, 2008

The Nest is Empty

Gary and I have been empty-nesters for about a month now. There are some good things about it, and some bad things about it. Here are my top ten lists of the good and the bad about empty-nesting.

Top Ten Good Things About Being an Empty-Nester

10. The house is peaceful and quiet.
9. Eric's room stays very clean.
8. I can get all the laundry finished for the week in two loads.
7. The phone doesn't ring as much.
6. A small roast lasts us nearly a week.
5. I never lie awake at night listening for the sounds of kids coming home.
4. On Sunday afternoons there's two couches available for a nap, no waiting.
3. I can't remember the last time I changed a diaper.
2. The TV can be on CNN for a long time and nobody complains.
1. Going out for dinner costs less for two.

Top Ten Bad Things About Being an Empty-Nester

10. The house is way too quiet.
9. I can't hear Eric singing in his bedroom.
8. I don't do much laundry, so I can't justify a new washer and dryer.
7. We get more phone calls from telemarketers than anyone else.
6. A small roast lasts us nearly a week.
5. I get woken up at night by the sound of my own snoring.
4. Sometimes Sunday naps start before church is even over.
3. I can't remember a lot of things.
2. I think we watch CNN too much.
1. Going out for dinner costs more for two now than it used to for five.

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

Oh goodness, Aunt Kaye, I loved it! :) I laughed out loud during the whole thing and my roommates thought I was crazy. Overall, are you enjoying the empty nest? Well, I hope things are going well! :) Thanks for the laugh.

Anonymous said...

You can take me out for dinner whenever you want.

Lori Young said...

So funny! Part of me is looking forward to it and part of me not. I'd be willing to try it for a week though.

Gayle J. Randall said...

I agree with all that you said. I just wish I had said it as well as you did. I laughed out loud, too. You will get used to it after a while, but you will have a twinge once in a while, too. Just think, you can quilt all you want and no children will roll their eyes (I make no promises about husbands.